I can’t believe we are already getting ready for summer! The past year has been a difficult one for many, so patio season and sunshine is very exciting! As you get your patio spring ready, are you needing some inspiration? Having a cozy patio is definitely important as we can tend to spend a lot of time outside over the summer months. The right patio décor is super important to making it feel cozy and inviting. How to do this? Style it similarly to how you would decorate your living room or dining room. Check out this post on how to do just this.
As I sat on my deck, I looked around and thought it needed some decor updates. Especially as I am moving away from industrial farmhouse style in my home to more of a modern boho feel. Decor trends have shifted quite a bit as we have moved into a new decade. Are you wondering how to freshen up your outdoor space? Here are a few tips to help you get started then…
Design tips to update your patio décor on a budget
1. Change out your cushions
Throw pillows are an easy way to update any space for color and texture. Sometimes our outdoor cushions can get worn out and dated. By switching these out, it can help make everything feel fresh and new again while updating the new style and color you are going for.
2. New table or chairs
Think functional and style. If you don’t have a lot of room on your patio, but want a dining table with a fire pit and a sectional, get a sectional with a taller fire pit table. It carries a multipurpose for any occasion. Also, if your patio set feels too matchy matchy or dated, switch out just the chairs or just the table.
3. An outdoor area rug
An outdoor rug can really transform a space making it feel cozy and defining the space. It can also be an easy way to incorporate new colors and textures.
4. greenery and florals
You cannot have too much greenery on your deck. Think fake greens if your patio doesn’t get a lot of light or you forget to water them. There are some great real-looking fake ones these days (I have some flanking my front door for this reason). Large outdoor green plants and shrubs can really cozy up a deck and bring in all the boho feels. They can help add a lot of privacy as well. Then try adding baskets of flowers and pots of herbs and lettuce to introduce more texture and color.
5. A fresh coat of Paint
Paint can transform a space. Think about painting your exterior door to your deck, paint your table, or even some accessories. Update your stain on your wooden railings or deck. Spray paint any metals that need some freshening up.
How I updated my patio without spending a lot of money
- A good cleaning will always help make your patio feel more inviting. I used a scrub brush, soap, and water to wash my deck and cushions down.
- To switch out a few things on my deck, I started with making an inspiration board. After that, I knew exactly what to look for as I went shopping and what I needed to change or keep.
- Updating my throw pillows and changing out the dining chairs made all the difference! I found these chairs and throw pillows for a great price at Lowes (my old dining table chairs weren’t super comfy and felt way too farmhouse). Then I was able to sell a couple of my old pillows and chairs on 24hr bidding which is great as it goes to other people who can use them and I was able to use the money to go towards the new pieces.
- I spray painted a couple of accessories in gold and then added some twinkly fairy lights for ambiance
I love how these pieces were transformed! As a result they bring in some more warmth to the space.
- Don’t forget to turn on the fairy lights and string lights to make the perfect cozy space to enjoy all the gorgeous summer sunsets in the evening with family and friends.
By adding more greenery, spray painting a few things, and switching out a few accessories, I was then able to give my deck a much needed update. This was all my deck needed to feel less farmhouse and more boho. I never want to go inside anymore! If only I had the room for an egg chair or two! However, if you have the budget and space, these egg chairs are the perfect way to boho style your patio! I hope this gives you the inspiration you need to freshen up your own patio.
Want to know how the steps on how to style your deck? My book Redesign can help! It shows you all the steps to transform and layout any space in your home in just an afternoon. Like what your reading? Sign up for more inspiration right to your inbox!