We all love the feeling of coming home… ok the kind of home that feels like home. IKYK…
Like the kind of home that feels familiar and safe. Where the aromas warm your heart and hold the people you love. So how do you create a familiar feeling home that everyone loves coming to?
Our youngest started a new school in September. He is in grade 11 and our last to finish high school. This change was a big one for him as he has been at the same school since kindergarten. The first day was hard for him not knowing anyone except his one bestie there. And each day has been easier and easier for him though as he gets to know the teachers, find his way through the large hallways, and makes new and find old friends. One thing about this experience is realizing how at home we find ourselves when we are somewhere familiar. Like when we walk into a room full of people we hardly know, how awkward it can feel, and then we don’t want to be there. But as we build relationships, how quickly the familiarity grows making us feel safer and more comfortable, like we are at home. It’s all about the people- to know and be known- and the atmosphere can help so much too!
It’s interesting as I ponder this. How important it is to gather with like-minded friends and family to share your heart with. We were created for community. And as we open our homes to those we love, I wonder how our family and friends feel when they walk in the door of your home. Do they feel safe and comfortable? Or does it feel overwhelming and cluttered and uninviting? How do you feel when you walk in the door? Do you carve out time to gather together?
How to create a warm and inviting home
- Lighting is so important to making a home feel cozy. Bright overhead lights can make it feel cold and awkward. Turn on those lamps and twinkle lights for ease on a dark winter evening.
- Throws and pillows make a sofa feel cozy and inviting with lots of texture and comfort for your guests. It also hides a sofa you don’t love so much and incorporates some lovely accent or seasonal colors.
- Artwork scaled to the size of the wall and hung not too high makes all the difference in a home to feel more inviting.
- Declutter and make space for all your things to be put away. There is nothing worse than feeling overwhelmed by clutter. When your items have a designated home to be put away in, everyone knows where to find them when they need them and it makes for a quick tidy and feeling organized. Creative storage solutions help with this!
- Area rugs make all the difference in adding texture, color, and warmth to a space. Especially if you have wood flooring.
- Decor can add so much warmth and character to a space. Too much can feel cluttered and busy. Too little can feel cold and uninviting. Just a few pieces such as greenery, florals, lamps, and candles can make your home feel cozy.
- Gathering around the dinner table together with good conversation always helps too! Create a lovely ambiance with music, decor, and cozy-smelling candles.
I am currently doing a REEL series with this list on creating a cozy home on Instagram. Come follow me there if you haven’t already!
What are some of your favorite ways to create a cozy home? Want more direction on how to apply these? Grab a copy of my book Redesign where I teach you the simple and easy-to-apply step-by-step process for each of these items and more!